Does HideMeNot collect any PII?
Unless specifically provided to us, HideMeNot does not collect any 'Personally identifiable information' (PII). We do not for example collect any social security numbers, insurance plan numbers or precise geographical location. We strives to deliver a complete private search experience, without compromising on the quality of search results which you expect from your current search engine of choice.
We ensure this by
- Not asking you for any personal information: There is no signup process to get started and we never get to know your email address, your name or any other personal information. Unless provided on a contact form.
- Not building any profile based on what you search: To ensure your complete privacy, we do not build any interest profile based on what you search for.
- Not indulging in search filtering: Most of the search engines use the profile they build on you to filter search results. This means two different users might see different search results for the same search term. HideMeNot makes sure each user sees the complete search results at all times.
- Not accessing your browsing history: We simply do not ever get access to your browsing history. This means there is no accidental possibility of us identifying you, ever.
- Automatically protecting you from search engines that track you: Our browser extension redirects any search which you accidently perform on unsecure search engines to HideMeNot to always keep your searches private.
- Not leaking your search terms to any other site: All your clicks on our search results page redirect via our own servers, which means the site you eventually visit does not get to know what you searched for.
What data does HideMeNot collect?
We collect the following data points at an aggregate level, and never at a user level:
- User IP Address - For combating spam and fraud and to serve relevant web and ad results based on user’s country/location
- Search Term - To improve search results
- Ad clicked, Organic/ Web results clicked & Search Engine Overridden - To improve search results
- User Agent - To serve appropriate SERP (search engine results page) design
- User search preferences (stored as a cookie) - To enable HideMeNot to keep track of user search settings (if any)
When do we collect this data?
We collect this information from you when you use the HideMeNot browser extension or perform any search on hidemenot.net
How do we use this data?
We may use the information we collect from you to improve our search engine and ads served.
How do we protect this data?
The data collected is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all the data is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
Do we use 'cookies'?
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser (like Internet Explorer) settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser's Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you disable cookies off, some features will be disabled It won't affect the user's experience that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
We may from time to time use website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or serving our users, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release information when it's release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others' rights, property, or safety.
We may rent, sell, or share aggregated information and other non-personally identifiable information with third parties for multiple reasons, including to develop and deliver search results and advertising and to conduct general business analysis.
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
You can uninstall HideMeNot by following the instructions here.